24 September 2009

Journal PDJ - 24.09.09

Breakfast at the same place with the everyone else whom I don't even know their name but I can see what they wear and use. Ochi texted me a while ago, I replied with a simple message "at the office". By now, she used to having me gone already when she wakes up in the morning. The turf grass is now full but I haven't seen anyone stepping on it, let alone laying themselves down on it.

Back to PDJ, I still haven't finished Hamid's background story. I believe, since Hamid is going to be the narrator in the novel, I have to stress his character a little bit, setting up his goal etc. Despite his goal is not going to be solved at the end of the novel or the film (Hotel des Indes - HDI), I would have to put into a thinking that the main character of the novel is not Reksodirdjo who was a bit passive when I re-read his background story. Simply, Reksodirdjo's character is the character who is unsure with his own being, perhaps a representation of us all in Indonesia.

Indeed, the action evolves around Reksodirdjo but he utilizes those moment like he is a one directional pawn. The reader could have disowned him right away, throwing away the sympathy for him. Therefore, Reksodirdjo in PDJ cannot be the main character. So, who would I choose to lead the story, if Hamid is the narrator of the event? I would go for Yanneke to play role, how will she fit into the story.

However, Reksodirdjo in HDI leads the story because of the background he'd experienced in the novel PDJ. He would not be himself in HDI if the incident has never occured in his life.

It's hot in New York today. I'm not wearing any jacket but still get the perspiration all over. This is what we call an Indian Summer....no, we are in the Fall season now.

As of noon in New York, I just finished a background story for Hamid's characterization.