22 September 2007

Ramadhan & Facebooking

In the past years, during the Ramadhan, I always spent my time reading until the time for 'sahur' around 4AM. I remember last year were Scott Ritter's Iraq Confidential book and Robert Fisk's The Great War for Civilization (unfinished - 1000+ pages bo'). Two years before was Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana and in 1992, back in San Jose, it was Pramoedya's This Earth of Mankind (the English version - in fact, that was the first time I read his writing). I always found that Ramadhan is the best time to concentrate. Therefore, reading is the thing on the list for Ramadhan (no wonder, reading the Quran has more reward if done during the Ramadhan).

This year is quite different. We've been using the virtual community (VC) for quite sometime like friendster, multiply or myspace. But, as the term, it's so friendster applied, those VCs are running out of style. Once again, it's so friendster. Here comes the facebook. Despite, It's been around for a year or so, I have just embraced this phenomenon recently. What hook me and the rest of the people on is this VC has the ability to be interactive with its numerous applications.

Ranging from frivolous quizzez to profound ones, nitpick applications which are good for hitting on to those apps which are good for killing time, facebooking is the way to take me to 'sahur' time. Despite the 47 proposals for DKJ grant that I have to review, in between proposals, I keep coming back to check what's the recent cool stuff in the facebook or sailing my ship to find more booties and coins in the 'pirates' applications. Not only that, I opened my Maithuna treatment in my word application with the facebook on the web in the background. It's not that I second the writing of my film treatment, but somehow, when stuck with objectives, shots, and set-ups, facebooking assists me to alleviate the tension in overthinking that treatment.


'Pirates' is the applications to kill time that I used most of the time. Contrary to the Ramadhan spirit, in this VC, you are allowed to steal someone else's coins or booties with your cunningness. The list of the thrown-bomb is multiplied every hour. Especially during the night, when most of them are in their slumber to be woken up for 'sahur' or simply just sleeping straight to the dawn, it's my best time to bomb-throwing at them. The result is that I add up my level, hit point (that I will be using to attack another ship), and most important thing is the coins stealing.

So much for the facebooking if not for its numerous narcissistic applications such as brainfall, flixter, photos and etc. This VC has hooked me on day by day, which I don't bother to check on the new Scott Ritter's book that has been out or any other books that I haven't finished. Perhaps, this Ramadhan is the time I don't spend much time reading but more to VCing or soon will be a new verb 'facebooking'.

Well, I will go back for DKJ grant proposal review as well as concentrate on the treatment of my Maithuna project. On the other hand, my corsair boat safe in the harbor with 0 coins (for any greedy bomb thrower, you're welcome to attack), it is waiting to sail again tomorrow night. Any poke will treated justly as well.
So long......

No comments: